Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Is this real life?

Amanda Chan trying to get my giant balloons in my car!




Judging by the fact that my last post was at the beginning of my final semester, and this post is coming to you all after the final semester....I guess I had a pretty busy final semester. But now that I have officially received and framed my diploma, I know this means I have to start getting my life on track. Baby steps, baby steps.

I just finished what proved the be the most gratifying experience of my life- choreographing "Gypsy" at a local high school. The kids were thoughtful, kind, hard working, and made me cry every night. As I sat in the audience taking notes and watching them turn into fine young actors, I realized something very important:

I want to do this for the rest of my life.

I want to be "Ms. Aniano". I want to turn people into actors, and see the passion in their eyes when they get up on stage. I want to change people. I want to help people. I want to have a group of students that I can call "my students". And above all, I want to watch them feel proud of themselves. This is what I must do, maybe for the rest of my life.

Of course, this would be much easier if mom would stop leaving "Backstage" notices on my bed, and nagging me to go on auditions (Must. Move. Out. Soon.). Yesterday was the biggest waste of day at this audition in New York- as I knew it would be. There are too many out-of-work actors out there. The competition is vast, and stiff. I would much rather stay home, work towards getting my teacher's certification, and not waste $20-$30 on train tickets and a day in New York. Waiting for 8 hours, singing 16 bars, and then being told "thanks for coming in" is just not my thing. And in my eyes- that's perfectly fine. At least I know what I want.

Been having some very interesting and eventful times in New York with Russ and some select Jersey Boys. Those stories are better left to a phone conversation- too much to type. But if you want some juicy stories, give me a call ;)

To do today: Gym, food shopping, bank, "Mattress" rehearsal. Fun fun.

Have a good one, and be safe
-Joan


No comments: